Police Museum

The Police Depot, as it is known today, was built by the Portuguese Grand Master Manoel De Vilhena in 1734 and at first it served as an institute called ‘Casa D’Industria’, a home for homeless women. They were taught basic skills and education such as reading, writing and some trades like weaving, carding and processing cotton.
 
In 1850, during the British occupation period, this building was used as the General Hospital. Beneath this building, a shelter was dug at the beginning of the Second World War in order to tend to wounded patients who could not be easily moved from one place to another. This space therefore provided a safer environment for patients during air bombardments. Imagine what would have happened if during an operation, doctors would have to stop from their medical intervention on patients. That is why there are two operating theatres in this shelter. It is interesting to note that this is not only the only shelter in the Maltese Islands used for this function, because as far as we know, there is no underground hospital on the continent that was built or dug out to operate in this way.
 
 Police Museum 
 
It was in 1954 that the Police Force moved into this building and turned it into its General Headquarters, from where it still operates today.
 
The Malta Police Force was formed on the 12th of July 1814 and its first commandant referred to as the General Inspector, today the Commissioner, was Colonel Francesco Rivarola. He was appointed by the first Maltese Governor, Sir Thomas Maitland. As a police force, we can say that it is the first force in Europe formed by a constitution, which means that it is administered under civil law and not under military law as in other countries. This constitution took effect with a proclamation by the same Governor.
 
 Police Museum
 
The Museum is divided into two sections: each section is housed in a separate hall. The first section deals with the administrative history of the force and the second part is about some of the criminal cases.
 
In the first hall, one will see various objects and belongings, for example uniforms, badges, medals, decorations, weapons and many other interesting things including tools and vehicles which were all required and used in different periods which helped the Police Force to carry out its duty to the best of its ability.
 
In the second hall one can see made-up scenes of crime that happened in Malta.
 
 

 

 

Contact Information:

 Contact Name

POLICE HEADQUARTERS
St. Calcedonius Square
Floriana FRN 1530​

 
 Telephone
2122 4001​